TAO commented about rhetoric. My question is, how do you decide if a public figure is being truthful or not? Fact checking is one thing. But how about sincerity, their heart? How do you know if you can trust them or not? That's what we really want to know, right? Can I trust this guy to do a good job? Can I have faith in him?
If you have a couple minutes, here's the YouTube/CBS SOTU link. Drag the playhead to 50:20 and watch until about 52:54. Should I, can I, have faith in this POTUS?
Sorry about the obligatory advertisement. I should have used the cspan video.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the insite. Can we just get Nancy out of that seat?
ReplyDeleteFunny Sandy - I had the same thought.
ReplyDeleteI still hear/see sarcasm - his pause after "I know you can't wait." and the look on his face... watching it isn't helping me. So funny to me he even mentioned "let's put aside the school yard talks about who's tough" I know he's talking about national defense - at least I think he is - but still rubs me wrong. Maybe just reading the talk would help - but then it goes back to the skill of the writer. The tone of delivery is important.
The speech has made no difference in my opinion. I want to have faith, don't we all? But I just am uncomfortable with his plans.
Just thinking a little more about your question - what is the truth we're looking for here? So many different opinions.
In my small circle of reach most of my friends have the same foundational background. It is amazing to me how with that same foundation we can have such incredibly different opinions when it comes to running a country.
In what truth am I asked to have faith?
It'd take a miracle to get NP out. But Nevada might send her buddy Harry off into the sunset come November.
ReplyDeleteWell, I think in the end, I am just too easily persuaded by strong personalities. I have always wondered if I can get the same feel for someone's trustworthiness over the airwaves as I can face to face. Haven't you ever wanted to be able to sit down and meet the candidates over lunch?
Thank goodness I am married to and surrounded by many people with better sensibilities than my own.
I just watched the whole 1 hour, 9 minutes and 19 seconds of the SOTU. Thanks for posting the link. I have no idea why but, I was expecting a red carpet portion...maybe CBS just didn't include that portion of the festivities.
ReplyDeleteI don't believe him. This Presidency has reminded me of High School or Jr. High School elections. When Joe Blow ran for student body president and promised the food in the cafeteria would be improved. Of course he won!!! But, once he took office he found there were limitations to the presidency. There was more information now that he was president and saw the realities of his actual influence. His "Yes We Can have better food!" was an empty promise. Don't get me wrong, I do believe in change, I do believe that change can happen...but, not when the American people aren't on board. And he said, "I didn't explain the healthcare plan well enough to the American People." WHAT!?!?! I thought that that's all he has been doing! So I took that as, "The American people just aren't smart enough to understand what's 'good' for them."
It bugged me. He kept taking jabs at "the past decade" (President Bush), harped on what he "inherited". Talked of freezing spending but felt that the 1 trillion dollars spent under his watch was necessary to save the economy.
He contradicted himself in so many instances it was laughable. He ridicules the media "tv pundits" for chopping big issues into sound bites and then says, no wonder there is so much cynicisms out there. Then, not five minutes later he talks about how resilient and hopeful and optimistic the American people are. He's confused.
It's true. He is great at delivering speeches. But, it seems like it's pretty much the same speech over and over. And many democrats ESPECIALLY Mr. President and Nancy P. need to realize that SAYING IT, DOESN'T MAKE IT SO.
I want to have faith...I think I still have hope for a better future for our country/government/foreign affairs/economy, etc. but, I just don't know about "the plan."
He makes a mockery of many things. It bugs!
And WHY OH WHY do they have people sitting behind him. I'll be honest this is the first SOTU I have watched start to finish. Joe Biden's constant head nodding (while I'm shaking my head) and Nancy's plastic smile and crazy jumping out of her seat...it was annoying. I vote we move those seats for the next SOTU.
Sorry, that's a lot for two cents...but, I am feeling the burn to get more involved in being educated about politics. There are people that I know that voted for Obama and throughout the whole presidential race I wondered why (thought I must just be missing something). They each had their different reasons but, I have to wonder if they are glad they voted for him. I don’t dare ask.
Again, sorry for the rant and the strong opinions.
Go Becky!
ReplyDeleteBecks, for reals. I loved your rant!! And I totally agree. AND AMEN to the fact that Nancy P has a plastic smile. Doesn't it just make you crazy? I mean, give me a break!! Anyway, getting involved with politics is often maddening, but I think it's good to be educated with some ammo for those nutso crazies that think freedom is something of the past!
ReplyDelete